Reading online on Amazon Kindle is fun, but that fun can reduce significantly when you’re bombarded with ads the second you turn a page. These ads not only irritate people, but they can also cause confusion — especially if a person is reading nonfiction.
If you’re experiencing this, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is that Amazon Kindle offers a way to remove ads. The bad news is that you’ll have to pay for it.
In this article, I’ll be showing you a way to get rid of ads on Amazon Kindle.
Why is my Kindle device ads-supported?
If your Amazon Kindle is showing ads on the screen, it’s because you decided to cut costs and save money on the purchase price by accepting an “Ad-supported discount” (previously known as “With Special Offers” discount).
When you buy a Kindle, Amazon offers a lower price for it if you accept Ad Support. According to Amazon, “If your Fire tablet or Kindle e-reader includes Special Offers, you’ll receive Sponsored Screensavers and special offers, including personalized advertising, from Amazon directly on your device.”
On the Kindle purchase landing page, the Ad-Supported button is set by default.
When you keep this default setting for your purchase, you’ll pay the price you automatically see on the page. Here, this Kindle Paperwhite costs X. However, if you choose the Without Ads option, the price increases to Y.
How to remove ads from Kindle
Cutting costs on your Kindle purchase might have seemed like a great idea at the time, but now you’re tired of seeing ads every other minute.
Fortunately, removing ads from Kindle is easy. But as mentioned earlier, you’ll have to pay for it.
To remove ads from your Kindle, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your Amazon account and navigate to Your Account > Content and Devices > Devices
- Click on the Kindle device from which you want to remove ads. You’ll see some details about the device below the device’s listing.
- On the screen, look for the place that says Special Offers. If your Kindle has ads and special offers, you’ll see “Active”.
- Click Remove Offers, and follow the onscreen instructions. At this point, Amazon will warn you that you’ll have to pay more money. They will display the price to remove the ads and charge you through your 1-click payment setting.
- Select End Offers and Pay the Fee to continue.
When you’re done, you’ll be able to use your Kindle without getting flooded with ads and special offers.
Pro-tip: If you like reading on Kindle, you might like audiobooks, too! You try to listen to audiobooks through Kindle Unlimited or Audible.
Read online without interruptions
Keeping ads away during e-reading will make reading a much more smoother and enjoyable process. Although you’ll have to pay more to keep ads away, it is worth it in the end when you are able to read without interruptions.
Pro Tip: Using a Kindle stand or holder can help you read on Kindle much more comfortably.