The lowdown: Crushing It is the ultimate playbook in creating and leveraging a personal brand.
Gary Vaynerchuk has arguably the strongest personal brand in the entire online entrepreneurship space.
Pretty impressive for someone who started by reviewing wines on video for his parents’ wine store.
That seems like a million years ago now, as Gary Vee (as you may know him now) has a media empire that is all centered around his personal brand.
Even if you don’t want to employ a full-time videographer to record your life, you can still start creating your personal brand today.
- Audible Audiobook
- Gary Vaynerchuk (Author) – Gary Vaynerchuk, Rich Roll, Amy Schmittauer (Narrators)
- English (Publication Language)
- 04/03/2018 (Publication Date) – HarperAudio (Publisher)
The three key lessons from Crushing It are:
- There are a lot of different ways to create a personal brand
- Creating your personal brand doesn’t have to be all-encompassing
- Spoken word media is the future!
Lesson One: There are a lot of different ways to create a personal brand
Depending on what you want to achieve, there are more tools than ever to launch a personal brand.
Each platform has something that makes it unique. It is impossible to start on all platforms at the same time and do it well, so choosing the right platform is vital.
- Facebook: Still the biggest platform on the planet. Has amazing targetting features and is the most sophisticated tool for advertisements.
- Snapchat: Not recommended for someone starting as it is impossible to get discovered without an audience.
- YouTube: YouTube is the second biggest search engine out on the planet. No matter what your niche is, there is an audience on YouTube for it.
- Instagram: A great mix between the perfectly placed artistic images of a timeline, and the raw footage on an Instagram story. If you have a business or interest that is highly visual, then Instagram is perfect.
- Twitter: If you’re looking to hit a specific target market, then Twitter can be great. You can join in the same conversation with influencers daily. Twitter is often the only social platform that most influencers are live on (automating their Facebook and Instagram).
Lesson Two: Creating your personal brand doesn’t have to be all-encompassing
Looking at Gary Vee’s daily content is draining in itself. I can’t even imagine how tiring it is to create it!
Turning your private life public is something that holds many business owners back in launching an online personal brand.
However, you can start small. The books mentioned a high-school art teacher who began documenting his after-school art lessons. His page soon grew, and now he is making 30k on the side!
The author mentions that a great way to build your brand is to document, not create.
That means, instead of creating daily content, start by documenting what you’re already doing in the industry.
Lesson Three: Spoken word media is the future!
While podcasts aren’t new, they are becoming more and more popular of a medium.
And it is obvious why.
In a world where we are always doing something, it is rare that we can all sit down and watch a YouTube clip.
However, people listen to podcasts all the time, as it is audio-only. You can listen to a podcast while working out, driving, cooking dinner, getting ready in the morning, or anything, really.
Audio only media is kicking up a level too, with in-home devices becoming a staple of homes around the world.
My Personal Takeaway
As I mentioned before, looking at all Gary Vee does make me want to take a nap.
However, what I like in this book is that you don’t have to worry about creating new content for every platform. Documenting what you already do is a great way to start.
Personally, I don’t ever see myself using all of these platforms. I have dabbled in Instagram and YouTube before but it has never felt right to me. However, who knows what the future holds!
Put it into action
Think of one way you can increase your personal brand. Maybe it is to double-down on one form of social media. We often find that we try to stretch ourselves thin and take on every platform at once.
Instead, find the platform that gets the best results for you, and double down on it.
This Book Is Perfect For…
This book is ideal for someone who is already managing a business but is struggling to find growth in a digital age.
I would also give this book to someone who is looking to start a side-hustle but is content in waiting to make money.
🤙 Your Next Step… 🤙
Head across to one of the following pages for more goodies
🍕 Read our list of the best business books of all time
🍕 Read some more of our book summaries
🍕 See our top book summary apps